Sunday, September 23, 2007

Pastel Painting


I told my hairstylist when he asked me to do a color portrait for him, that I don't do color, I only draw with pencils in black and white. I've always had a problem working with colors. The image either gets too muddy or facial features get blurred out and undefined. But when he handed me the photo of his wife and daughter on the beach, I couldn't imagine how it could be done in graphite. So I bought some pastelboard and pulled out my colors and this is what happened. This is the first painting I've ever completed without it ending up in the trash. I think I'll send off for it to be printed on some art paper.

I had my friends Beth and Tony come over, and I pretended that I was having a little reception for my new painting, but it was more of a grill out. Tony took photos of my painting with a very nice digital camera, and I am very thankful, because all of the images seemed like keepers.

Here's the same piece of art through a tungsten filter. It seems like cheating having it printed after it's been digitally altered. But anyway, whatever. I think it's prettier through the filter. What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love them both. The first one looks like a night picture and the second look like early morning. You did good girl!!!

AJC said...

Ooooooooooh, both are beautiful!!!

Wendy Weiss Southern said...

ok for the record (I already told you in person)...

I like the non-filtered one better only because it looks more authentic. You captured the silvery-white colors of the ocean beautifully and I love the way her dress plays into that...blending in, looking like part of it all.

I do like the filtered version for all the reasons you do too. The warm tones and sunset feeling.

Both are so true to the feelings/moods/tones of the ocean at different times of day and season.

thanks for sharing these