Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Letters to Sailors

I had the kids dictate their letters to me, then I wrote them out and they copied them with their best penmanship. I love what Jake wrote here.

I thought this was a pretty good likeness of Jake, don't you? See the circles around his eyes due to allergies? The messy hair due to homeschooling? The sword and the shield he uses to defeat laundry monsters? (I'll have to tell you about laundry monsters later.)

Josie's handwriting was beautiful. At the bottom she drew some whales.

This is such a great way to teach my kids letter writing, improve their penmanship, teach them compassion, and maybe give a soldier or sailor a little laugh. If you want to do this with your kids, go to www.anysoldier.com and pick somebody from the list. Put a stamp on your letter just like you would if you were sending domestic mail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The kids seem like they are really trying to send something meaningful, not just something to fulfill an assignment. I love my grandkids!!