Thursday, October 18, 2007

I Struck Internet Gold

with this website.

I accidentally happened upon it through a strange episode of serendipity. Among other things like art, people, and my kids, I love two things: watching "You Are What You Eat", and playing around with my guitar. I'm trying to eat healthier so I can have more energy to deal with just about everything, so I watch the TV program. The guitar part includes searching the web voraciously for guitar tablature, audio, and video. I have a very hard time finding tab on the web, especially with alternate tunings, so this takes up a good deal of time I could be using to actually play.

So today, I was watching "You Are What You Eat" on BBCAmerica, and thought I might look up Gillian Mckeith's recipe for seed loaf (It's like a meatloaf, but made from beans and seeds). I typed "gillian seed loaf what you eat" in my search engine. The first site that came up was Howard Wright's. He exposed this Gillian McKeith lady as a bit of a flim flam artist; who not actually a medical doctor, but uses the prefix Dr. before her name. So she was misleading me a bit. Well I do love the truth too. I never felt the need to send off my family's poo to Ms. McKeith to find out if we're going to have heart attacks in our sleep, but she does show me some interesting ways to prepare vegetables. So I'll still watch, but I'll be a bit more skeptical of her apocalyptic declarations.

Anyway, I noticed on the top line of this blog, there were links to a massive collection of his guitar tabs. Oh heavens! Some of these tabs are Joni Mitchell, and her alternate tunings. Then links to other great music sites. Unfortunately there were no recipes.

I'll be spending a lot of time there using it as a search engine, so I'll put his site up on the links in my sidebar. He has piano music on there too. Check it out. I know some of you will really like the music selection, because I actually know some of you. You know who you are.


OH. Maybe someone (Ron?)can answer a tab question for me, since I didn't see it on Howard's tab instructional. I'm learning a song right now and one measure confuses me. There a part where I'm supposed to pull off from the second fret to the open string. But I don't know how to play it just right because I haven't encountered this particular thing before. It shows me the 2, which I play, but between the 2 and the 0 there's a little 2 in parentheses. Like this 2 (2)-0.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The number in parentheses could indicate a "ghost note" (play that note, but muted), or it could indicate a harmonic (though 2 would be a strange place for one). Without listening to a recording of what you're trying to figure out it's hard to tell.

Michele said...

They were using diamond shapes to indicate harmonics. It was Greensleeves by El Meehan, and I haven't heard audio of it. It's really pretty.