Thursday, March 15, 2007

That Video Down There and Some More Ramblings About Gender My Husband is Sick Of

That video down there is by a band called Mika. I heard them on the local radio station and thought it was Queen. This got me thinking about Freddie Mercury and his quite palatable gayness. Except for the short-shorts. But that's just bad taste for any man, you can almost give him the gay pass for it. I would be more troubled by a straight man in short shorts than I would be around a gay man in short shorts. Could you imagine some guy in aerobics wear hitting on you at a bar? I can feel the Killian's Irish Red coming out my nose just thinking about it. Otherwise Freddie Mercury's gayness was just part of the entertainment, and he pulled it off in a fairly masculine way compared to some.

Strangely enough I will admit that Tim Curry was oddly alluring in Rocky Horror Picture Show. I wouldn't say he was palatable because the character was a bit disconcerting as well. Sex itself was a bit troubling to the teenage me who went to the movie with my sister. (Add to that the whole Rocky Horror Virgin thing, made me wish I had a fake ID, and some clue about how to mix something that would knock me out.) Anyway, he sure could sing in that corset, with the garter belts, and the fishnets.

Rock is full of androgeny. Robert Palmer, Roger Daltry (bee-ooo-tee-ful), Adam Ant, Duran Duran, Mik Jagger, David Bowie....I could go on and on. Girls fell all over themselves for these lovely guys with puffy shirts and ribbons in their hair. What is that all about? You know the straight guys did it because the girls loved it. Girls buy records. Girls fueled the whole Rock and Roll industry. As the music got harder sounding, the boys seemed to get softer looking. It's some Rock n' Roll sexual conspiracy I think. Someone in the industry got the whole psychology of attraction figured out. I don't really think women want to emasculate men, but maybe women want to see a little of themselves up there on stage with the testosterone.

None of this offers me any clue as to why I have a problem with female drummers.

P.S. I know I misspelled "Freddie" on that post. But heaven help me, this HTML bullcrap won't let me change anything. Well, so what your image of me as perfection incarnate has been a bit sullied?

No comments: