Sunday, March 11, 2007

One Woman and a Shovel


This little corner in our landscaping was just busted up red rock. I think it was supposed to look like lava rock, but it just wasn't pretty.

This morning I decided to look up how to build a frog pond. To build a frog pond you just need a dig a very shallow space that you fill with lilies and water. Eventually the little froggies move in.

We had heard a rumor that some former owners had a frog pond here and filled it in because it got too loud. This corner is right in front of what was a little girl's room, so I can imagine it bothered her. Now, my little girl is in that room and she is not bothered in the least by the sound of frogs, the feel of frogs, or their taste when she kisses them on the lips. Right now she has some bullfrog tadpoles that she collected at the grand's, so maybe they can live in there when the water's right.

I am so digressing.

I started digging at 8am. By about 9:30 I began to discover some huge river rocks under there. By 10 when Ray came out to see me he said "Wouldn't it be funny if you dug up the old pond?" By 10:15, I was finding stones in patterns of circles with spaces beneath them that I could shine a flashlight into.

I don't think it was a frog pond that they dumped all those stones into. It's deep and wide enough to be a koi pond.

I'm not finished pulling out stones, but I may need a pain reliever, and I definitely need a shower.

It's funny how I never seem to have the energy to carry the folded laundry up the stairs, but get me curious about something, and there's no end to the heavy labor I will do to get to the bottom of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!! I've been hearing the frogs singing and thinking the same thing about our pond...time to get it cleaned up.

I have lots of water plants if you'd like some for your pond...they're really pretty...tall and purple and the dragonflies seem to like them.

All the froggies thank you for your work!

Wendy

Michele said...

I'd love some water plants. I'd also like to see your pond.

Anonymous said...

well, it's hardly a pond at the moment...last year my dog decided it was her pond and her sharp nails ripped holes in the liner. so there's hardly any water left and it's a mess.

when i get to it, i'll separate out some of the plants and get them to you.

me again