Sunday, March 25, 2007

Rest in Peace Petey


Rats are greatly under-appreciated as pets, but our family really loved this little guy. I think he loved us too. Yesterday we were holding him and feeding him from a spoon because he was too weak to get up on his hind legs and eat with his own "hands". After he was done eating, he washed his face, kind of laying on his side as we pet him. Then he groomed my hands too, just to make sure I was clean.

At a potluck last night, a lady was cutting flowers in the kitchen to be put in the church sanctuary. She gave me a clipping from her forsythia to take home. As we pulled in, we picked a spot to plant it on the side of the house. This morning, we buried our little friend in that spot, and planted the forsythia there too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

O...I'm so sorry to hear about Petey. You certainly have helped me to learn to appreciate rats through your stories and the things you have shared about your time with him.

Any fondness I now have for rats are due to the fictional Templeton and the non-fictional Petey.

What was Petey's favorite treat? Maybe we can bring some to his burial spot and pay our respects...

Wendy

Michele said...

He loved Froot Loops.

AJC said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, I understand the love of rats as we have two and they are amazing...Do your kids know the story of the Rainbow Bridge?

Michele said...

I'll read it to them when I can get through it. Shoot, I can hardly read Winnie the Pooh without crying.

Michele said...

Just read it again. Nope, I wouldn't be able to read it aloud right now without all of us wailing:)