Monday, August 21, 2006

Carnivores and Pizza

Here's a life skills lesson. The kids made pizza for the family. I tried to stay out of it. I basically just opened the packages for them. I also put them in the oven.

Josie used olives for the crossed eyes and freckles.

This is called a cicada killer. That's really it's common name. It's huge! As big as my thumb. He's dining on a half-dead juicy cricket that came from a connecting compartment. Josie has stocked this compartment with bugs and they travel up a channel only to discover a giant bent on stinging and eating them. Nice, huh? I seem to remember crying about these things as a child. I had a friend Johnny who liked to pull the heads and abdomens off of ants to make little red spiders. This really troubled me. Now my daughter sets up insect death matches and I just think it's so endearing.

I also bought them some carniverous plants and we learned to care for them.



Subjects: One page of math, visible woman (brain and nervous system), handwriting, science (botany), swimming, bike riding, scooter, and played with a friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josie's interest in creatures and what they do might lead her to something later in life, but right now it's sort of disturbing. The world needs people who do that sort of thing. When we were at a Sushi Bar last week a lady was sitting at the bar with a big notebook and dressed like she had just come from a camping trip. She said she looks for all the different species of misquito and that she had recorded 60,000 different species. Notice, I said she was alone. As long a Josie sticks with insects and doesn't progress to large animals.

The pizza are very inventive.