Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Autism and Fever

And I'm not really ashamed that I used to like it when my daughter was sick. Now, she communicates in a much more back and forth way than she used to, but when she was under 6, people would have to listen to her make statements and try to reply with her talking over them about any subject she chose. Once, when she had pneumonia (at 5), she became a different kid. She would say things that made sense in the context of the situation. I could sit next to her and chat about what was on TV.

When I had her evaluated for Asperger's when she was 7, the psychologist asked me if my child seemed to communicate better when she had a fever. BING! YES! Can we give her a fever?!!! This fever/communication connection has been anecdotal in the autism community for a while, but now there's been a study done.

Bring on the Cytokines!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting.

Unknown said...

Hey Michele Grandma in the brown house here! This fever thing is really interesting. I'll pass it on to Alex. Alexia just make two trips to the Children's ER with croup! I think mother's should get a bravery pin for raising their children.
Anrita

Ren Allen said...

That's really weird....though it makes sense.
My J had a fever for a whole day a couple weeks ago and it was a MOST interesting day. We talked sanely and calmly, he listened, he seemed to focus. Very different.
I'll have to read the study. Interesting.