Tuesday, June 19, 2007

All Touching is Bad Bad Bad

I've got a long haul ahead of me teaching my children to know what is appropriate. Lot's of parents with aspie kids have this problem to deal with, and spend a lot of time telling them when it is appropriate to touch. We want them not to be over affectionate, or severely withdrawn. I contend that neurotypical kids know right from wrong when it comes to getting physical in public. I'm talking about fighting too.

Well, some school teachers in Fairfax County Virginia don't think kids have the ability to function within society's boundaries, they've solved the whole problem for us. No touching at all!

One administrator complained of the gang handshakes and the kids who rapped each other's knuckles until they were bloody. Well I don't think if you eliminate gang sign handshakes, you'll eliminate the gang problem. And the bloody knuckles belong to the kids who played the game. Why is that the school's problem? Let them play the game, just make sure they get to class on time.

You can't raise any child well, much less one who has social difficulties if the rules don't make sense in greater society. I don't want to raise mine in a bubble, or a prison, or a factory. I wonder what kind of rebellion we will see coming out of these repressively coddling arbitrary rules.

I think I'll go downstairs and watch Equilibrium.

Whoops. I want to touch Christian Bale a bit. Now that's bad bad bad.

No comments: