Friday, October 13, 2006

So Many Things to Know

Today I learned some things from my kids that I didn't know. Other things that I was pleased to know that they noticed. And other things I didn't know they really knew and I'm not sure if they really know what they seem to know:)

Things I didn't know:

1. A chickadee has peculiar flight pattern. They sort of lift and drop as they fly, so that it looks like they undulate. Josie performed the flight of the chickadee for Jake with her hands.

2. Josie showed me the bottom half of the constellation Libra. She likes constellations.

3. If a month starts on a Sunday, there will be a Friday the 13th in that month. (Josie again).

Things I was pleased to know they noticed:

1. While we were out to dinner tonight at a local Japanese restaurant, I was telling them about Indonesia and how many dishes are eaten with your fingers there. Josie replied "Well, that's definitely unsanitary." Jake suggested that if we ever go there we will have to bring the Purell hand sanitizer. I said that was a good idea, but I wonder if that would be considered rude.

2. While we were in the car, I was trying to listen to talk radio over them playing in the back of the car. I don't know why I do this, it's incredibly frustrating trying to make out the words on the radio over all the babble. A little ways into the drive, Josie said to Jake "Hey Jake, maybe we should stop playing for a while, we might be annoying Mama." Wow, that's very observant for someone who has a poor history with being considerate of others.

3. Jake likes how Japanese girls wear flowers in their hair. I didn't want to be a realist and tell him that they only look that way in the paintings. It's nice to think he has that pretty image in his head.

4. Jake decided it was high time something was done about the scrap wood out by the trashcan.
So he got on his safety glasses and found the hammer and some nails and set out to make some kind of weapon. He was hammering outside for quite a long time. He didn't ask me for help even once. He just took the job on.

5. Josie noticed that we passed two Firestone tire shops on the way from Farragut to Bridgewater Rd. And in both of the "O's" in the signs there were birds' nests. She told me yesterday that if she was a bird she wouldn't want to live in an "O" because she would rather have a house with two stories like a capitol "B". She would be more of a Border's bird I guess.

Now, do they really know this? And how far have their little minds taken this? And would they be stunned if they knew people did this, or would they just treat it scientifically the way they do everything else?............

Jake: " Here's the girl chickadee Josie. She's mating with the boy chickadee."

Josie: "No Jake, the girl doesn't go on top. The boy does."

Jake: "Why?"

Josie: "Cause he needs to use the force of gravity so the sperm can trickle down."

No comments: