Monday, June 26, 2006

We're Weird

So I wanted to teach my children to count change, and understand the process of adding sales tax, and a bit about managing money. So I created a little game. It's simple really. Both of my children were given characters to play. Josie is an intergalactic herpetologist, entymologist, and ornithologist, which makes her particularly suited to the task of saving the six legged, feathered, reptilian Petulax from extinction on the planet Occulo. Got that? Jake is an intergalactic trapper. He has to capture the petulax humanely and find them a better environment in which to live. I gave them a list of supplies, an income and money to spend. I run a store called Itchy Moe's. That's where they purchase supplies. Josie asked if she could donate her change to Save the Petulax, she's decorating a donation box. Jake gets to use his gun and holster too. I thought I would have to force them to do the whole store thing and try to make it fun, but instead the whole game has taken on a life of it's own. Josie got on the phone with her dad. "Hey Dad! I'm Josie Ninevo, from the planet Occulo. I'm trying to save the petulax from extinction!"

No comments: