Thursday, June 01, 2006

Morning Math

Today Josie and Jake counted to 102 by sixes. I don't think I could have done that at their age. Jake had no trouble with this, and they both thought it was fun. I have a math game that I read about on a homeschooler's site that uses two decks of playing cards. They may enjoy it when they are in the mood to play a game. Each player has a deck of cards with the face cards removed. They begin by laying down two cards a piece. They add their own cards. Whoever has the highest sum wins that round and gets to collect the other players cards. The game is over when the decks are used up. Whoever has the most cards at the end of the game wins. You can play it with subtraction and multiplication too. I could let them use calculators and they could play division-style. That would teach them about decimals. There's also a fraction version, but that may give me a brain hemorrage.

No comments: