Thursday, September 28, 2006

What Would Freud Say About This?

Now here's an interesting study. It seems to be another study to show that liberals have more intellectual layers than conservatives, or some such nonsense, but I'd like to use it as a jumping off point to talk about my conservative husband's dream world.

There are a few common varieties of dream. There's the anxiety dream, where you think someone chasing you or you showed up naked to your Chemistry class. There's the sexual dream of course where you're doing something unspeakable with someone un-nameable. There's the spiritual dream, where you feel as if you've connected the dots somewhere and you can see the future or the other side. Then there's the action-adventure dream. What? Never heard of it? Well, I know all about it.

Action adventure dreams are the only kind of dream he seems to have. I personally think he writes his dreams before he goes to sleep. If he doesn't, he could at least write some B-movie screen plays after he wakes up, he could probably make some extra money that way. While I dream of three-eyed pomeranian talking dogs from the hood, he's dreaming of killing zombies in a retro-future post apocolyptic world. When he wakes up in the morning and I ask him if he dreamt, I usually ask first "What model of firearm did you use last night?" or "what caliber?" Often I ask how many zombies he bagged, or whether Nazis factored in this time. This year it's zombies. Last year it was basic Saving Private Ryan type stuff. He's added a few "layers".

I guess I'm not making such a good arguement for the creative and many-layered conservative, am I? But he could be one of those guys who dreams about his Mommy drowning him, or his boss making him smoke cigars with a busload of cross-dressing priests, or travelling to the end of the rainbow only to find the Village People waiting for him, or something like that. He's just too confident to let his dreams tell him what to do with his sleep time. Hmm. Now I'm envisioning him shooting Zombie Village People. I'll tell him about it tonight and ask him how it worked out in the morning.

No comments: