Friday, September 08, 2006

No, We're Not Selling the House



I remember when I was in college a male friend of mine called me Polly Homemaker. It seemed to stick in my head for some reason. I guess the first reason it stuck was because he said it in a way that made me know it wasn't really a compliment. Of course I wanted marriage and family and all that, anyone that knew me at the time knew that too. My high school senior prediction was that I would have two kids and have taken them on a world tour with me by the the time our ten year reunion came around. It was actually a pretty controversial prediction, but the students convinced the teacher in charge that I would definitely consider it an accurate and positive one. But there is one very good reason that the name "Polly Homemaker" does not suit me. It's the "Homemaker" part. See, my good college buddy had never really looked at my kitchen sink, or peered into my closet, or noticed that the chocolate brown carpet in my apartment appeared to be jumping. I have gotten quite a bit better over the years, and have also decided that Polly Homemaker is not a name to be ashamed of.

Today I discovered Flylady. It's a Yahoo group. She sends us daily advice that after 28 days will help your be a more organized domestic executive : ) Today she told me how to clean and shine the sink. That was my only assignment. Well, the sink looked so pretty, I wanted my counters to look pretty too. Then the floor. Then the stovetop. My kids even got a good bath tonight.

Maybe at the end of this whole experiment I won't feel like I have to laminate my children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey
My mom introduced me to flylady when I had Reagan. She and I both born organizers but I loved the routines, my family has been flying ever since. Good luck, she is wonderful.