Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Water Day





Today we left at 9am to check out the Farmer's Market on Market Square (Downtown Knoxville). Josie thought we might be able to find some pigeons there, and I thought it would be a good opportunity for them to take pictures. Market Square was a ghost town when we arrived, even the birds had better places to go, so I took them to Fort Kid, near the World's Fair Park. While they were playing, I was hearing what I thought must be Karaoke off in the distance. That seemed strange to me since it was 10am on a Wednesday morning.



We walked down to the fountains at the park and I let them play in their clothes.


There were huge tents set up with long tables and kid's wearing badges around their necks walking around with parents. I could see the karaoke stage off in the distance and some booths. I asked a man if he knew what was going on. He said they were here with "Destination Imagination". It's a program where teams of kids from all over the world get together to compete in challenges. One mother from Denver told me her son's team had to build a structure that weighed less that an ounce and a half, that could hold more that 100lb of weight. They built a structure from balsa wood that held 350lbs. I didn't find out if they were the winners. She asked me about things to do around town. I really couldn't help much. I told her that they could ride the trolley, take it to campus and go to the McClung Museum. Or walk on over to the Art Museum, that the Junior League has a place set up just for kids in there where they can create. It looked like they would be having enough fun with this convention.


After all the excitement, the kids and I walked over and watched some girls singing "Stacey's Mom", Jake took a picture. Then we went to the library and Jake got his own card. We got about 20 books and grabbed a few summer reading forms. Josie even grabbed three young reader chapter books without me prompting her. Now I just have to get her to read them.

We'll go back to the World's Fair Park soon. The dog can come too.





No comments: