Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Tonight's Dinner Conversation

Jake really wanted to know whether "brung" was a word. I told him it wasn't. This was earlier today. Tonight at dinner he wanted to know what "chock" meant. I said "chalk?" He said, "No, 'chock' as in 'chock-full'." Little smarty.

Then Josie told me that she knew a word that was all vowels. She said "Eye". I said "I?". She replied "No E-Y-E!" I said that I thought the "y" in that word was actually a consonant. So we talked about word where "y" stood in as a vowel. Ex- Rhythm, catalyst etc. Sometimes it makes a long "e" sound. Sometimes it makes a long and short "i" sound. So we decided we would look up words that had no vowels, and words that had no consonants. I wanted to know which words had a "w" standing in for a vowel.

Here are some answers and some interesting information.

Brung is a word, but it is improper like ain't. Score 1 for mama.

Chock- adv. As close as possible.

Longest word in Oxford English Dictionary without a vowel- twyndyllings. Welsh in origin, it means twins. I guess there is debate here as to whether "y" is a vowel here.

The word queueing has five vowels in a row. But I couldn't find a word without consonants. Unless you count "a" and "I".

Longest word in which every other letter is a vowel is honorificabilitudinitatibus which occurs in a Shakespeare play and is- the state of being able to achieve honors.

The word I found in which "w" is a vowel is the Welsh word crwth that rhymes with tooth, and is a stringed instrument. This could also be a word without vowels if you disagree that "w" is a vowel.

Let's listen to a crwth, shall we?

No comments: