Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Thought You Might Like to Know....

For clarity, if such a thing exists in my universe, I advise you press "play" and then read.




I've been looking to try out a little parlor guitar with nylon strings. My guitar is very nice and I like it, but I find that I want to capo it at the third fret for everything. I think it's because at that fret my fingers are closer together, and the strings have more tension and they don't get all buzzy.

I went down to Pick n' Grin last Tuesday and found that it was closed. I like Pik n' Grin because it just seems to be staffed with friendly people who like to play instruments. How simple. Suddenly there was a little knot in my stomach. My other choices in my area were Rik's (ugh, as lame as it sounds), and the Guitar Center. You see, I'm a girl. There's not a lot to swing around down there, and that's what you get into at these places. A bunch of guys playing How Big's Your Johnson, and not a lot actually playing music. Humility is a rare thing among those who call themselves musicians, almost as rare as talent. Just 5 minutes in one of those places and you'll hear some punk blasting out the sounds of a cat passing slowly through an undustrial shredder amplified to 11. He's usually got a little entourage of slack jawed mouthbreathers, dreaming of parties and groupies, who think he's Jesus H. Clapton, and want to be sure to stick around for when he hits it big.

A funny thought...there's a lot of young fellers out there who seek to meet chicks by hanging out in places that are full of dudes, doing things for the approval of other dudes, playing songs that, in general, are mainly loved by dudes. What they don't know is that while they are all congregated doing their dude-stuff, all the girls are congregated somewhere else, usually in the company of some guy who's figured it out.

But I digress.

(Don't you think that would be good engraved on my tombstone? I'll live forever though, cause I'll be dying, then I'll forget what I was doing, and get up from the hospital bed and walk out in the hall and go "I know I went in there for something," and if there's no nurse to remind me that I'm supposed to be dying, I'll just go on forever. Kind of like this post.)

Anyway, I hope in 400 hundred years when I'm a blind old bald man who forgot to die, I will be able to play for my friends at least one joyful little arpeggio as beautifully as Andres Segovia did.

....and now you know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, i spent 5 years selling synths, recording equipment and livesound gear at the Sam Ash music in TPA (basically Guitar Centers biggest foe). Your description of the music megastore is so incredibly on point, to the point that i was a favourite there because i was not the "pre-teen guitar hero" type, im just a normal dude (tho exceptionally cute and smart ;).

i digress...

i've been out of that work environment for several years now, and i cant really bring myself to go in there for ANYTHING, thank god for this interweb thingy that is getting so darn popular.


-c

ps: the lack of humidity here in denver warped the neck of my acoustic guitar. its unfixable. im in that wanting a new guitar frame of mind myself.

Michele said...

If I'm ever in need of some advice on choosing equipment, I'll write you before I buy, then I can use the internets to purchase.

BTW- No cousin of mine could ever be a slack jawed mouthbreather. At the family reunion this week I was a little awed at how brilliant our extended family seemed. I guess I had to grow up to notice :)

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Let me recommend Larry Long at pick 'n grin. He is a fine classical guitar teacher. I'm impressed that you appreciate Segovia. The Knoxville guitar society hosts concerts, please attend.

I appreciate what you said about guys, guitars, impressing dudes and chicks. Frankly, it's why most guys start playing guitar, to impress the chicks... but those that get really good are those that put their egos away and spend hours alone practicing technique and classical masterworks, not the usual pop/rock/whatever stuff they think will impress.

Michele said...

I used to take guitar from Ed Wing at Pick n' Grin, and I liked it very much. I would like to know techniques so I don't get my fingers all tangled up and my strings will cease that infernal buzzing. I know that name, Larry Long, he's been teaching there a while right?

Anyway, what you said about putting egos away, that's why I put the Andres Segovia video up. If anyone deserved a big ego it was him, but he seemed like a very patient teacher on some other videos I saw.