Friday, December 15, 2006

Homeschooling for the Bloody Capitalist

The real world is a place where people get paid for their labor. I've decided my kids will get paid for theirs too. For the kids should enjoy learning and doing for its own sake crowd, please start formulating your arguments now, and I heartily promise to ignore them.

From now on if my kids read 10 books, come and tell me about all of them, choose one and write a good one page book report about it they get $5. If it is an especially neat page of writing, they get an extra $1.

If they learn their times tables and take a test and pass, they get $3 for each test passed. They can only take one test a week. There will be no test on 1x. Duh.

They will have to pay me for TV time and computer and playstation time. 50 cents for each 30 minute increment. Educational TV and computer is free. If they write a page about what they learned on TV or on the PC, then they receive $2.

For Jake a day without whining or screaming nets him $2. If he does either of these things he pays me $2. I will keep a sheet on this so if he goes in the hole, he'll have a little lesson on credit and collections.

Same for Josie about using a nice tone of voice.

From now on they buy all of their toys and candy themselves. Christmas doesn't count. Gifts from Grandmas and Grandpas etc. don't count either.

Later, I may get into them taking a loan out from us in order to buy a big item if they don't have enough, but I think that's a concept more for the 11 and above crowd.

Fire away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! I never thought of purchasing tv time etc... My kids have always gotten paid for there grades when report cards come--$5 for every A, $3 for every B, nothing for a C, D they pay me $3 and F they pay me $5. They always do very well in school. But I like your idea!!! Quite brilliant..

I can see paying out more as you do, if they are having to pay me for their tv/computer/video game etc.... Fun times.. Thanks for the idea...

Michele said...

We're just capitalist pigs, eh? But it seems to be working.
Josie's already two dollars in the hole today for standing in the middle of a room and declaring she hated a kid, in front of said kid's mother. She declared she was broke this evening, helped me with the dishes , and got Jake's cut cause he didn't help. She's really hankering for game-time.